On 25 September 1942, 12 Squadron arrived from Binbrook with their Wellington bombers converting onto Lancasters in November. On 7 November 1943, 626 Squadron was formed from ‘C’ Flight of 12 Sqaudron. Both squadrons operated from the airfield until the end of the war. 12 Squadron moved to Binbrook on 24 September 1945, and 626 Squadron disbanded at Wickenby on 14 October 1945. Arriving on 19 October 1945 was 109 Sqaudron, equipped with Mosquitos. Their stay was short and they left for Hemswell on 27 November. The airfield was retained by the RAF and used as an explosive store and disposal facility until the mid 1950s.
Today Wickenby is a very active general aviation airfield operated by Lincoln Aviation Ltd. The flying club use the northern parts of the two subsidiary runways, and are also based in the watch office.
The RAF Wickenby Memorial Collection, located in the upstairs room of the Watch Office.
Also in the watch office is the RAF Wickenby Memorial Collection, which includes Wickenby Museum and the Wickenby Archive. The B1 hangar still stands and the northern T2 hangar is still in use, supplemented with modern additions. Some of the communal and accommodation buildings can still be seen, although most are in a deteriorating state of repair and on private land. At the entrance to the flying club there is a memorial to 12 Squadron and 626 Squadron, which features a sculpture of Icarus.