Opened in December 1943 and allocated to 1 Group, it was built to Class ‘A’ standard with three intersecting runways, two T2s and a B1 hangar. The T2s sited off the western perimeter track, one on the technical site and the other slightly north. The B1 was located off the eastern perimeter track. The communal and accommodation sites were tyo the west of the airfield, beyond the three-way junction near the Reindeer public house.
Sandoft was a training airfield, converting 1 Group crews onto the four-engined bombers which they would operate when posted to a squadron. In February 1944, 1667 HCU (Heavy Conversion Unit) arrived from Faldingworth with Halifaxes and some fighters for fighter affiliation training. Sandtoft was transferred to 7 (Training) Group, in line with other Bomber Command training airfields and 1667 HCU was joined by a detachment from 1656 HCU based at nearby Lindholme, of which Sandtoft was a satellite. Both HCUs were disbanded in November 1945. The airfield was used until 1947 as a sub-site for 35 MU and 61 MU (Maintenance Unit) after which it was finally closed.
Today Sandtoft airfield is an industrial estate, its runways making ideal bases for a variety of units. Imported cars from the Humber ports are also stored on the site. The northernmost T2 hangar is now the home for an interesting collection of road and trolleybuses.
Flying still takes place at the airfield and the Sandtoft Flying Club uses part of the western perimeter track as runway. Some buildings still exist including the former watch office, now converted into a house. At the entrance to the flying club is a Northern Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage information board.